Django and PostgreSQL
3 Hour tutorial
The Python web application framework Django includes PostgreSQL support right out of the box, and has become one of most popular ways of deploying a PostgreSQL-backed web application. As with all powerful tools, naive use of PostgreSQL in Django can produce less-than-spectacular results.
We'll do a hands-on workshop on building and implementing an application using Django and PostgreSQL. A little bit of Python and PostgreSQL experience is very helpful.
We'll talk about, and work on:
- Schema design patterns for Django.
- ORM techniques for maximum database performance.
- Transaction management, including techniques specific to PostgreSQL.
- Doing raw SQL queries in Django: when and how.
- Extending PostgreSQL, and exploiting those extensions in Django.
- Error management.